Thursday, December 13, 2012

My Birthday in the Dominican Republic- Written by Jill



Yes, I had a birthday this week – the big 65 one!  Really strange because I only feel 42 inside J  It was a great day that I want to share.

The night before when we had Family Home Evening with other Senior Missionaries, they sang to me, including a dear couple from Paris who sang their version of Happy Birthday.  She brought me the hat to wear for the evening.  They usually have a silly hat that someone has to wear, but no one could find it (thank goodness!)

Here I am wearing a genuine French chapeau!

Then the next morning, dear Rob gave me breakfast – scrambled eggs, hot chocolate, and a wonderful croissant from a great bakery that we have found.  



He even wrote on the mirror like he has done for every birthday as long as we have been married, I think. 

The day was mine to choose what we would do.  So, first, no going into the office – yee haw!

Second, we went to the temple for a session and just enjoyed the peace and quiet there.

Then, onto IKEA for lunch – Swedish meatballs, with lingonberries and gravy.  Yes, I know that this sounds crazy, but they just make me feel Christmasy and taste just like the ones at our IKEA back in Atlanta.  We walked through the store, and I picked up some green napkins, a cute red polka dotted tissue box and some Christmas wrapping paper – yes, big spenders.  Rob also bought me a great knife and knife sharpener. 




Then we went to the Agorra Mall.  This is a new mall down here, and I felt like we were back in the States. It’s three-stories tall and filled with lots of shops that you would find back home, even a MAC cosmetic store, Amie!   Now if they had just had a Bath and Body Works, it would be a perfect mall (This, of course, is from someone who really isn't a mall shopper - it just shows you what deprivation can do to you..._




You can see from the pictures, that the mall was really decorated including a number of Christmas trees hanging down from the ceiling!

We bought a Krispy Kreme donut to share, and felt like we were back in Atlanta.  



Then we went to the Hammons for dinner which included the Haws and wonderful Texas Sheet Cake.  That was so sweet of Joann!
A Dominican birthday card from Sister Haws

Sister Haws and Sister Hammon

I was able to get all five candles blown out!




I received some very special notes from several of my kids and my brother Bert and from several dear friends back home and a couple of calls.  I also received an email from my sister Joy, the first that I have gotten from her on the computer.  It was just a special, special day!

3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday nana! I love you guys very much and will miss you during the Christmas season. <3 Eden

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you got the day to do what you wanted! How fun that they have an IKEA there. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great birthday for being far away. Can't wait for the Christmas Pic's!!

    ReplyDelete